Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Warrior Dash 2010

About 6 months ago we heard about this crazy race called The Warrior Dash. It had never been in Colorado before and so we looked it up! Only to find out that this was the first year for it. It looked so fun and crazy. They explained that there were about 12 different obstacles over 3.27 miles, including, car wreckage climb, hay bale climb, tire run, rope climb, uphill mountain run, mud pit (see below), net climb, tunnels, river crossing, wall jumping and 2 fire jumps. I think I got them all. Anyways the moment Danny heard about it he wanted to do it! We signed up and told a few other people about it. Nathan decided to sign up too. So we arrived up in Copper Mountain (about 2 hours and 15 minutes away) at 8:30am because I had told them me and Danny's heat started at 11:30...oops....when we picked up our packets (which included a sweet shirt, viking hat, our timing chip and our number) it said our heat didn't start until 1:30pm. It was OK though there were lots of things to do and people to watch. LOTS of funny costumes. So when 12:45 came around we found out that they don't really care/check your actual time you go so we decided to race with Nathan at 1:00. I was so nervous when we were at the start line which is nothing new, so I prayed and God calmed the storm inside me! As the whistle blew and we took off, of course Danny and Nathan blew past me-Danny is so very competitive, It was so fun. I REALLY struggled with the running up the mountain thing, it did end up being switch-backs up the mountain but it was also a lot higher in elevation than I am used to, God definitely humbled me because I did end up walking most of the uphill and was kicking myself the whole time-another thing I struggle with sometimes-pride. But after the cars, rope, hay and mountain you run downhill for a good mile-its such a beautiful place- we got to a water stop and then the mud pit,there was a crowd of people watching and rooting for everyone to dive in- I truly can't even remember what I did, all I remember is people shouting and the taste of the mud. It surprised me, I thought it would taste bad but it really didn't taste like anything! After the mud pit you run up a little hill-feeling very heavy-and go through the tunnels, net climb-which another thing to know about me I am terrified of heights if I don't have a railing so the net climb was......SCARY. Then the river run, and the fire jump-which was also scary the fire was up to my waist. The the finish, I was shocked when I was greeted at the finish line by Danny and Nathan and hardly recognized them! They must have been part of the group that got cheered enough to go completely under the mud....seriously like an inch thick of mud on them. We then paid $5 to take showers and walked around enjoying Copper. We will most definitely be doing it next year and will be bringing lots more people!
In Him,
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment