Saturday, March 12, 2011

Shake It!!!


Now that the weather is warming up (SOOOO EXCITED!!) I am very excited to start running outside in shorts again! Running when it's warm/hot out is truly something I love! It just feels good to be out in nature/or on the street, and not having to worry about gloves, jacket, beanie,snow, ice, etc. One of my favorite things about the Spring/Summer is the yummy smoothies I used to buy from "Juice It Up" post-run. They were so refreshing and my after run treat. The only thing about getting one made for me is I'm not 100% sure what's in it, sort of expensive, and I can't pick and choose exactly what's in it. I usually bought the Chocolate Peanut butter Mood, from there....lots of calories.....VERY YUMMY. I decided now that Spring is here I would buy a blender, save some money and start making my own! Low and behold.....lots of yummy recipes!

I started out looking at HOW to make a proper post-run smoothie. Here's what I found on Runnersworld.com

Pour in your liquid-Use 4-8 ounces of liquid, such as water or milk. If you use fruit juice (which is high in sugar) limit to 6 ounces or less.

Add fruits and veggies- Try 1/2 -1 cup of produce. Try berries, banana, mango, kale, tomato, etc. Frozen is just as good and you won't have to use as much ice, if any.

Add fats and protein- Limit to 1 serving of healthy fats to keep calories in check. Try a tablespoon of nut butter (peanut, almond, etc.) or seed. 1/2 cup of soybeans works too.

Add spices and sweeteners- Honey, agave nectar,and other sugars have few nutrients so use no more than 1 teaspoon. You can add 1/4 teaspoon of spices like ground nutmeg or ginger.

Top with ice- More ice will create a thicker shake-like consistently and less (1/4-1/2 cup) will make it more like a smoothie. If you have frozen fruits or veggies use less ice!

So out of these tips I have only done the obviously yummy, though healthy, choices. I will try the veggies.....when I get the guts....

Anyways here are some healthy post-run recipes to try!

Maple Pumpkin Pie
1/2 cup plain soy milk
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup silken tofu (I dunno if I will put this in......what is it?!)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon real maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Breakfast To Go
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flax seed (I haven't been able to find this at the regular grocery store.)

Low Calorie Smoothie
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup fresh spinach
1 kiwi sliced
1/2 frozen banana sliced

Coffee Crunch
4 ounces cold coffee
4 ounces fat-free milk
1 frozen banana sliced
2 tablespoons whole almonds
2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder

Don't those sound good? I know, I know a couple just don't. But when I try them I will let you know! The one I did today after my run was a little creation I call.....
Strawberry, Banana, Peanut butter Delight
1/2 cup 2% milk
4 frozen whole strawberries
2 small bananas
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup oats
It was delicious!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM! I made a chocolate banana peanutbutter smoothie today! I am so in the mood to run! June here we come with my new jogging stroller for baby! Thanks for all the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete