Sunday, February 6, 2011

To Stretch or Not to Stretch??


Before... during... after.....not at all?????

Apparently this is a huge discussion among the running community. I never really thought about it until reading an article in a magazine and finding out pro runners have all different ideas of when to stretch.

In the article it basically says that its important to stretch. But when?

Stretching Before
Stretching before your run will help elongate your muscles so you run with the best range of motion. BUT, since your muscles are not warmed up yet don't stretch to your limit, its not supposed to hurt! Some runners do a few easy stretches, (This would be Stretching While Running) run a mile or two and then do some more gentle stretching before the hard part of their work out.

Stretching After
Stretching after your run by holding for 30 seconds (static stretching-I'm learning quite a bit) is great to help keep muscles from tightening up. I have found that stretching after feels really good, and helps me to stay loose.

None At All
Not recommended.

Yoga
Doing yoga will help your flexibility, strength, and relaxes the mind and thus helping your running, life etc. I have tried yoga in the past and I loved it, though its hard at first, don't be discouraged, its a fabulous work out for the body and mind. I was just careful when picking the class due to not wanting to be in one where they focus on "chi" and "being one with the earth and mother nature".

Personally I only stretch after I run. Though after reading a few articles I am going to try stretching before and during. I will let you know how it goes and if it makes a difference for me.

I will soon do a post on how to stretch and the myths and tips about stretching!

No comments:

Post a Comment