Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Biggest Weakness: Nutrition.....

MMmmmmmmm I LOVE chocolate. Love it. If there is some sitting in our house or at work i eat it. I guess you could say I have issues with self-discipline.....

I mean I guess I eat salads a few times a week, and I eat a lot of fruit, but I have never really known what the best food choices for running are. So here is what my research has shown.

First, lots of seeds. There are many different ways to eat them. Whole grains, tree nuts and beans to include a few. One very interesting fact about seeds is that they are full of nutrients-they are what start a plants life! They have proteins, essential fats, and antioxidants to keep you healthy and lean. Try adding nuts to muffins, or pancakes. Even just a handful for a quick afternoon snack! I remember as a kid always picking the nuts off anything that had them. I finally, in the last few years, started trying them, I was missing out! I looove them now! We east mostly whole grain bread too!

Second, fruits and veggies any chance you get! They have vitamins, minerals and the carbs to help fuel your runs. I read on runnersworld.com that eating 6 different colored veggies and fruits daily is important. The different pigments are from different vitamins and minerals. I will sometimes (not enough though) just take a baggie of carrots and grape tomatoes as a snack or make an extravagant salad with every veggie known to man and ranch dressing. I like eating salads a few hours before I run, I feel energized! Oh yeah, and don't peel the skin off! The skins on most fruits and veggies that are edible are FULL of good stuff!


Milk and milk products (not so much soy, but real milk) are SO important. They supply our hard working bones with calcium to keep them strong as we pound them on the pavement/gravel/treadmill etc. The whey protein in milk product also helps keep our immune system strong.

One thing I found that will definitely be a challenge for Danny and I is eating things that come from cold water... Runnersworld says that fish provides runners with "quality" protein since we need 50% more protein than noon-runners.
Fish contains Omega-3 fatty acids which have shown to significantly increase heart health! We will be looking for yummy recipes for fish if anyone has any!!!!

So, as you see, they are many big reasons to eat healthy especially if your running has hit a plateau, maybe it because you body isn't being fueled correctly! Remember you body is not your own, it belongs to our God so lets take care of it!
I might start putting some healthy running-friendly recipes up here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment