Saturday, September 4, 2010

Treadmills Can Be Fabulous!!!



Am I crazy? No...well maybe, I just prefer running inside on the treadmill for runs longer than 5 miles. This would seem crazy to some and for some reason I can't really pinpoint the reason why I prefer a treadmill to the beautiful landscape of Colorado. Could it be the a/c? or being able to watch a movie on the touch screen treadmill at Villa Sport-which is the Athletic Club I belong to? Maybe its the guilty comfort in my subconscious of knowing that I can stop at anytime and not have 3 more miles to get to the car? =) Well at any rate, today I conquered 6 miles for the first time in 6 months! Praise God!! And I did it all on the treadmill!

I know to many runners just the word "treadmill" makes them think of a boring and tedious run. But it really doesn't have to be!! One of the best tips and encouragements I can give to someone who either has to use a treadmill, or just wants to give it a try but is discouraged by how bland it seems is bring a few things to keep you occupied i.e.- That great book you've been reading, your iPod-preferably with a great mix dedicated to your running, a magazine of some sort, a Kindle or iPad-if your blessed enough to have one =) etc. Today that's exactly what I did. I first watched a movie for 2 miles, then got a little bored watching the Julia Roberts girly movies so I picked up my new Runner's World magazine and was intrigued by some great motivating articles and by the time I looked up I had gone almost 4 1/2 miles! Also the placement of your treadmill- I ran on one that looked out to the pool and to beautiful Pikes Peak-, It feels soooo good!
Whether rain or shine, sleet or snow,day or late at night (no I'm not the mail man =) ) you can always run on a treadmill! Well I guess not if you have to drive to the gym and there's 4 feet of snow outside but you get my jyst right? Especially living in Colorado where sometimes running in -5 degrees is just not smart, I can go run on the treadmill where I can still wear shorts and a tank. I also love that there are pottys just around the corner, not that using trees isn't fun, but this way I KNOW no one is going to sneak up! Hahah. They have great training plans on most treadmills where you can pick hills, speed, distance, mix or just quick start. If you have one at home...well....even better!!!! How nice and blessed you are!!! Hmmm Christmas present one day??!!
Another thing I have noticed about myself is that it takes some getting used to. Getting your speed vs. the treadmills speed and all that takes some getting used to so try to figure out how you work with the treadmill before doing a long distance, its very different and knowing that it kind of propels you in a way since the belt constantly moves is weird. Also once you get the hang of it, put it on a 1% hill grade to combat the lack of air resistance from not being outside. Try it! I encourage you to try and see what you think! Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. 6 MILES?! Yeow!! Hehe, guess who's fallen off the 5k bandwagon this week... :] But we had something going on like every night. We'll have to get back in shape next week - gotta keep my eyes fixed on that turkey trot shirt! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I am talkin' about! :) Thanks for the treadmill pep talk! I needed it! Cold, cold weather is on its way and I will have to make friends with the Villa treadmills! I will let you know how it goes... or you may be right at my side!

    ReplyDelete